Sunday, January 29, 2006

Flashback to SLIS...

Garden Girl suggested finding a list of basic questions to keep in mind while reading. So, I dug this out of my old SLIS notes. Both Anna and Gail used this list in their courses.

Aidan Chambers' "A Critical Blueprint":

1. What happened to me as I read?

2. What features of the book caused my responses?
  • Book as object (the physical book)
  • Personal history (what your history brings to the book)
  • History as a reader (what your past reading brings to the book)
  • The text alone (how the author tells the story and what the story tells)

3. What does this book ask of readers (what reader is the author writing for)?

4. Why is this book worth the reader's time?

So, that's one potential method for looking at our books!

2 Comments:

At 20:34, Blogger Violette said...

Ash, you know, that class really affected how I read books. When I started reading this book, and I knew we were going to talk about it later, I started going through those steps in my mind.

I think it is a really good way to analyze our reactions to what we read. But I think it's kind of funny that I took that class two years ago, and I still automatically start analyzing a book that way.

Especially considering I'm an English major. But after four years of English classes and analyzing so many books from one critical perspective, it was refreshing to be able to take into account my own history as a reader. I think literary criticism pretends to be too scientific: you can't take the reader out of the equation. Reading is an extremely subjective experience. And it was so nice to finally meet a prof who insisted that we analyze our own responses.

 
At 09:17, Blogger ypkjorli said...

Yes. I agree with the last two posts. It's very difficult to debate unless there is someplace to start and restrictions set. Let's start here and see where it leads us. Thanks for the suggestions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home